Today is one of those day where you just can’t go outside and wished you could go back to bed! It’s too windy and cold too go for a hike and too rainy/ snowy to go for a walk. And now a winter thunderstorm is approaching….
The only thing to do on such a dull day is COOK and EAT!
Our late lunch was a team effort. I was in charge of the salad and my mum (who in my opinion is one of the best cooks around) wowed us with her version of Surf and Turf Pasta Carbonara.
Because I didn’t have tahini I couldn’t make Angela’s Tahini-Lemon dressing, so I used what we had instead. It may not have been as good as Angela’s original version, but it still made a great side salad for the main attraction on the table: mum’s Surf and Turf Pasta Carbonara.
To make up for the hefty amount of heavy cream used in this recipe we substituted ham for bacon, which is commonly used. It still tasted amazing!
Surf and Turf Pasta Carbonara
makes 6 portions
You will need:
- 500g pasta (We used Fettuccine)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300g ham, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 400ml heavy cream
- 150g parmesan, grated
- 12 prawn
- 3 garlic cloves, crush
- Add cold water to a bowl and add 2 tsp. of salt and crushed garlic. Then add the prawns and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and let it cook until al dente. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
- In a big frying pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add the chopped onion and fry for a minute or two. Then add the ham and stir to combine.
- In a big bowl or container, mix together the eggs and the heavy cream. Add the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Then add the mixture to the pan containing ham and onion and stir to combine. Set aside.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain and set aside.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Let the flavors combine while frying the prawns.
- Heat up some olive oil in a medium sized skillet and fry the prawns on medium heat. When done, mound the pasta into plates or bowls and serve with 2 prawns.
Other than eating and drinking coffee to stay awake I am currently researching on how to self-host my blog. If there’s anyone out there who has tips or knows good tricks on self-hosting I’d be very thankful if you could let me know in the comment section. Thank you!