As promised here is the recipe for my Flapjacks. This is a fairly standard recipe and can be adapted to fit any season by adding dried fruit or chocolate chips, etc. I’ll try making one that tastes just like Christmas in the next week or so. To be honest, the smell reminded me of Lamingtons (one of my favorite desserts) and that’s why I probably like them so much. The first thing Christina commented on was how good they smell…chocolate and coconut, how can you go wrong with that?
I have been trying out different variations ever since the summer. The batch that I made then turned out to be very crumbly, but the taste was fine. I then tried adding maple syrup instead of honey and just did not like them that much. These flapjacks are very healthy (depending on how much chocolate you add). They do include brown rice syrup which gives them their sweetness, but most conventional recipes include butter which is not needed for these flapjacks, so don’t worry about the chocolate too much!
Flapjacks (Basic Recipe)
Makes 8-10 bars
You will need:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. protein powder (this is optional, but using chocolate protein powder will make them even more chocolatey!)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (you may need a little extra depending on the consistency of the mixture)
- 2 tbsp. nut butter
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 100g chocolate (either milk or dark chocolate)
- coconut flakes
- If you want to glaze the flapjacks with chocolate now is the time to prepare a water bath. Let the chocolate melt and stir occasionally.
- Combine the oats, cinnamon and protein powder in a bowl.
- In a separate (heat-proof!) bowl combine the brown rice syrup, nut butter and vanilla extract. Heat the mixture up on medium heat in the microwave until everything in well combined.
- Pour the brown rice syrup mixture into the oats and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a pan and press it in. Pour the chocolate onto the oat mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and freeze for about 15 minutes. Cut into 8-10 pieces.