Since it’s Halloween today, I thought I’d eat accordingly, which means orange foods. Breakfast wasn’t really themed, I had the regular oatmeal. However, I did get creative for lunch. I made soup using only orange ingredients and it turned out to be delicious and warming. Here’s the recipe:
Spicy Sweet Potato, Carrot, Butternut Squash Soup
For 2 portions you will need:
- 1 potato, peeled
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1/2 onion
- seasoning: salt, pepper, vegetable broth, chili
- Bring water to boil in a medium pot, add vegetable broth.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into large chunks and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes in the water.
- In the meantime, cut the onion and fry it in some oil (I used coconut oil for some extra taste, but olive oil will also do)
- Add the onion to the vegetables which should be softening by now.
- Then pour all the ingredients in a blender and mix well so that no large chunks are left.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and heat it up for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and chili.
I added some “home-made” croutons to my soup, basically torn up toast. I’m continuing the orange theme and having clementines for desert.